On Thursday, June 8th, 2017 I had the opportunity to attend the SOLD OUT “She Who Dares-Detroit”. The event featured: Kelli M. Coleman, owner of The Ten Nail Bar, Dezi Santigo, Founder/CEO of Sway’d Style Lounge, Leslie Gordon, Diversity Communications for General Motors, Meagan Ward, Founder of Creatively Flawless and moderated by Jovian Zayne, Founder of the On-Purpose Movement. ALL THAT BLACK GIRL MAGIC IN ONE ROOM! I HAD to attend so I secured tickets for my best friend, Shar, and I. The event was hosted at Detroit Wick in the Eastern Market district downtown.
I have about three pages of notes and of course I am here to share the gems with you.
- Start your day with gratitude and envisioning 10 things that make YOU smile. It could be quotes, your dream car, a Prada bag (HA!) or family pictures- doesn’t matter! Begin your day positively no matter what is going on.
- End your day with 3 things that you love about yourself and 3 things you accomplished.
- The idea of perfection is not productive. Remember: Purpose over Perfection and Progress over Perfection.
- Embrace the pain and grin and bare it all. Remember what is on the other side of the pain.
- Re-define failure. Failure’s can turn to success stories.
- Comparison is the thief of joy! Social Media is cool but don’t dwell on it. Do you want something because they have it? Are you inspired or envious? Don’t worry about one up’ing the next person. Focus on you. Don’t do it for the gram. Don’t allow somebody else’s journey to redirect yours.
- Don’t do what you don’t want to do. Don’t spend time with who you don’t want to. SAY NO! It is OK. Time is valuable, don’t waste it.
- Don’t get stuck in the infinite loop- your routine. Wake up, rinse, work, sleep, repeat. Break out of it!
- You can’t be everything to everybody if you’re not enough to yourself- self preservation is KEY! Self care is vital.
I left the event feeling so empowered and energized. It was very much needed and on time for me and my life.
Kelli Coleman, Founder of She Who Dares and The Ten Nail Bar, stated that this is the first of a few more events of this kind! I am super excited for what is to come with this series. I will definitely keep you all posted if I see more events like this and more events hosted by the her group.
What do you think about all that glitter the ladies sprinkled? Will you apply some of these tips? Let me know what you think.
Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing. –Thessalonians 5:11